THE GNOSTIC WAY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction of a new Seeker

3 posters

Go down

Introduction of a new Seeker Empty Introduction of a new Seeker

Post by seekerjuan Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:27 am

In the welcome message Bob asked for an introduction,
so that we may know a little of "where you are coming from,"

This is an interesting question to ask a Gnostic seeker. Where I am from is what I am seeking and where I expect to end up...

The disciples said to Yehosua, "Tell us, how will our end come?"

Yehosua said, "Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is.

Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death.", Thomas 18

I have been a seeker my entire life. From my earliest memories in childhood, I have always looked for truth and knowledge.

Twenty years ago, after much searching, I had an experience. This experience was so profound, that it completely changed my view of the Universe, humanity's place in it, and the meaning of Scriptures. This experience was my Gnostic Awakening, but I didn't understand this until recently.

I searched everywhere, I meditated, I prayed, seeking to find something close, some framework, to explain what I had experienced. The thoughts and images that I had experienced were so profound there had to be something. I continued to come up empty. Without a framework, I could not convey what I had experienced to anyone.

I was raised and educated as a Catholic from grade school through college. In my search, I learned that the one called Jesus, did not call Himself this. It was then that I realized Orthodox Christianity was hiding something. How can you "Pray in the Name of Jesus" when that wasn't his true name? Who are you talking to? It would be like calling me John, that's not my name. There were many other discrepancies as well, most of these in Genesis, which casts doubt on the whole Orthodox argument. I then knew that Orthodox Christianity no longer had anything to teach me. I knew that I had to find something else, and it would not be in a church.

For years, I had conversations with Buddhists, Shinto, Hindu, Evangelicals, Lutherans, and many others to see if there was something. While there were elements that matched, the interpretations were wrong or incomplete. While I was aware of Gnosticism the entire time, I didn't really understand what it was. I knew that the Gnostics translated 'Faith' as 'Knowledge' and that made sense to me. This was particularly true of the part about a little knowledge will let you move mountains. This seemed obvious, just call an excavator!

In the past few years, I have come across many aspects of Gnosticism that match extremely well to what I have learned and my initial experience.

When I came across the Sophia Myth, The Gospels of Judas, Thomas and Philip things started to make sense. A symbolic framework emerged. Specific passages rang very true to me:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. And after they have reigned they will rest."
And the process starts all over... This was exactly what I have been going through, my entire life.

As part of this, I have always believed there was truth, lie and lies of omission in the Canonical Scriptures. I found this as part of my search as it regards Doctrines of error:

The Savior answered and said unto Mary: "I have said unto you aforetime: 'Be ye as skillful money-changers. Take the good, throw the bad away.', Pistis Sophia 134

I won't quote the rest of it here, but it gives a pretty good explanation of how to detect doctrines of error. Pistis, belief based on evidence, means we must continually challenge our assumptions and what we think we know. Only through this, can we learn the truth and know that it is true.

I have been searching for a group that I could learn from and share what I have learned. I hope this is such a group. Be patient with me as I ask questions and challenge so that I understand. Support me when you agree with me. Challenge me when I make statements that do not seem true. But when you challenge, challenge me on that which is provable, not dogma. This is the only way we can all attain the truth.

seekerjuan

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Introduction of a new Seeker Empty Re: Introduction of a new Seeker

Post by Admin Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:25 am

Hi and welcome seekerjuan.

Thanks for your introduction - I agree with everything you said. I am now looking forward to hearing about your personal experiences of gnosis.

Peace, Love, & Understanding ~ Bob Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-11-05

http://www.geocities.com/genuine.gnosis/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by seekerjuan Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 am

Thank you!

I'm looking forward to sharing these and receiving feed back from others to compare what I found against their own experiences.

Over the past few months, now that I have a better framework, I have been attempting to write a description and interpretation of my experience. It contains many of the elements that have been described in this forum and a little more. It is currently about 10 pages long. I would like to share it, can you recommend the best place and method to post my current draft?

Your fellow seeker,

Juan

seekerjuan

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm

seekerjuan wrote:Thank you!

I'm looking forward to sharing these and receiving feed back from others to compare what I found against their own experiences.

Over the past few months, now that I have a better framework, I have been attempting to write a description and interpretation of my experience. It contains many of the elements that have been described in this forum and a little more. It is currently about 10 pages long. I would like to share it, can you recommend the best place and method to post my current draft?

Your fellow seeker,

Juan

Hi Juan

I have just created a place for you to post your experiences ~ 'PERSONAL SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.' As it is quite lengthy (10 pages), you will need to enter it under a number of separate posts.

I look forward to reading it.

PLU ~ Bob Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-11-05

http://www.geocities.com/genuine.gnosis/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by knightofalbion Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello Juan. Nice to meet you. Friendly greetings from Glastonbury in England.

Shine a beautiful light!

knightofalbion

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down